The Orbi mesh Wi-Fi system from Netgear is pretty good because it covers the whole house without any dead spots. It’s a great solution for larger homes or small businesses that need a strong connection in every corner. To figure out why the orbi satellite is not connecting to the router, we need to talk about what mesh Wi-Fi is and how to set up an Orbi satellite correctly. The last thing we’ll talk about is how to fix an Orbi satellite that can’t connect to the router.
How does Mesh Wi-Fi work?
Mesh Wi-Fi is a wireless networking system that spreads the wireless signal evenly throughout the house. There are a lot of Wi-Fi mesh systems on the market right now, and Netgear’s Orbi is one of them.
The Wi-Fi mesh network usually works with one router connected to the modem for internet access and one or more satellites connected to the router and spread out evenly throughout the home. The satellites are like range extenders in how they work.
How to Set Up the Orbi Satellite?
If an Orbi satellite not connected to the router, something might have gone wrong during setup. Because of this, it’s important always to be clear when setting things up. We can avoid a lot of problems if we set things up right. So, here’s what you need to do to set up your Orbi mesh Wi-Fi:
- Get the app Orbi. It’s at www.orbi-app.com, where you can get it.
- You have to sign up for a Netgear account.
- After that, you’ll need to sign in and tap the Get started button.
- Your Orbi router has a QR code on the bottom.
- Set your camera to scan the code, and then type in the product type and the number of satellites you want to connect to your Orbi router.
- Now, we need to use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the modem so we can get online.
- Once the LED stays white, you must turn on the Orbi satellites in the same room as your router.
- When everything is set up, go back to the Orbi app and tap the Continue button.
- Then you can connect to your Wi-Fi network and give it a new name and password.
- After that, you’ll need to set up a security question, and the router will check for firmware updates.
- Last, you can move the Orbi satellites to any place you want.
Appropriate Orbi Satellite Position
Your Orbi keeps disconnecting to the router because it is a wireless connection, and the satellite is in the wrong place. It could be too far from the router or in a quiet part of the house where the Wi-Fi signal isn’t strong enough.
The Orbi Wi-Fi mesh system from Netgear is easy to set up and use, which is great. On the satellites, some LEDs show if the satellite is in a bad place. So, if it’s too far away, the LED will be Magneta and Orbi satellite not syncing with the router. Amber is a good connection, while Blue is the best possible connection.
So, when it comes to putting the satellites in the right place, you don’t have to worry about the details because they tell you if they are in the right place or not. But you should be careful about where you put the router.
Make sure it’s up high and away from the room’s corners. Aquariums, mirrors, microwaves, baby monitors, and other RF (radio frequency) devices can also interrupt or weaken the signal.
Why can’t I connect my Orbi Satellite to my router?
If you’ve set up your Orbi Wi-Fi system correctly, but it still won’t connect to the router, there are a few things that could be wrong, some of which we’ve already discussed. These are the most common ones:
- Satellite hardware that doesn’t work: If you ordered a new Orbi satellite, it’s possible that it was damaged while being shipped to you. In this situation, you should call their store.
- Orbi firmware update Failed: Your Orbi satellites are not connecting to the router because the Orbi firmware update failed. This can happen if the power goes out while the update continues.
How to Fix an Orbi Satellite That Won’t Connect to a Router
When your Orbi satellite can’t connect to the router, there are a few easy things you can do. If you follow these steps, we’re sure the satellite will connect to the router unless there’s a problem with the power or it’s broken, and you need a new one.
Orbi Satellite Sync Button
Both the router and the satellite have a sync button. You have to hold down the button on the router for a few minutes. After that, you need to hold down the one button on the satellite for a few minutes, and it should work.
Factory Reset Your Orbi Satellite
Get the satellite close to the router and turn it on. Push the Reset button on the back of the satellite with a paperclip until the white LED blinks. This means it’s been turned off and on again, and the firmware is likely up to date. You need to go through the process of syncing again.
Now you know a mesh Wi-Fi system and why your Orbi keeps dropping the internet to the router. This means you can make it better. If none of the above solutions work, we need to get in touch with customer service or get a new one.